Tuesday, 11 September 2012

Classic Literature

I've been looking at some of the Classics again recently to put on askmeaboutbooks.co.uk  I think so often we don't bother to actually read the book because there are so many film and TV versions out there now, and often we get put off because we've had to read them at school and because of this have had to analyse the content so much that we loose our pleasure in just reading them.  But Classics have lasted for so many years because they have something special about them (well, most of them) and often this is lost in even the best, most exhaustive production.
I've always been grateful that I didn't study Pride & Prejudice, or any of Jane Austen's work, because it meant that I came fresh to my first reading of it.  I had seen a TV version of it, however, but fortunately this just made me want to read the book, which I think is often the case for people - how many people decided to try and read Lord of the Rings after the film came out?  (Well, to be honest, not me, but that's because I'm not a big fan of extensive description!)
Of course, there are many Classics that I wouldn't have even considered reading if I hadn't been required to for school - Jane Eyre and the Handmaid's Tale, for example, and actually I'm glad that I had the opportunity to (if only once).  I think it's good to read things that you wouldn't naturally pick up, although I think the majority of books should be read simply for the enjoyment of it!  I learnt a lot from those books I was 'forced' to read, and I still occasionally do try to step out of my comfort zone - I guess that's a bit of what Book Clubs are about, trying something new, although I wonder if the type of books we choose for Book Clubs could explain why often only a few have actually read the book!  But that's another subject entirely!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment