Friday, 8 June 2012

A website idea is born...

One month since we launched askmeaboutbooks.co.uk, I think it's time to reflect on how I got to this point...
 
Ask Me About Books is an idea that came to me when I finished a series of Fantasy novels recommended by a good friend - Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher.  Stunning story line, breath taking in places, really vivid, admirable characters and I felt that grief I always feel when I'd finished the last book, deliberately slowing down my reading on the last few chapters to savour the world I had come to love.  Reading is a passion for me, but I'm very choosy about the world's I disappear into and I hate to buy a book unless I'm expecting to read it several times.

The trouble is, so often when people recommend books - or when I recommend books to others - there just isn't that 'match'.  It's a bit like being set up on a blind date with a friend.  Only the best friends can really find someone you'll get on with, and who knows those secret things that you're looking for?  It's the same with books - just because someone else has enjoyed it, doesn't mean I will.

Of course, that doesn't stop me recommending books to others - but I want to ask some questions first: Do you want something gentle and relaxing to read or something that will leave you breathless at the end of it?  Do you care about the characters or is it all about the action?  Are there any particular pet hates you have?  A bit of an interrogation...

And so askmeaboutbooks.co.uk was born.  A list of options that searches a database of books to - hopefully - provide you with the perfect match.  And the great thing about looking for a book (unlike dating) is that one day you might want something relaxing, sometime something challenging, so there's always something new to discover.

The adventure continues.
askmeaboutbooks.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment